The news that the Nigerian army has labeled the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) group as a terrorist group has led to controversy across the country and the international community.
Many are of the opinion that the group has not done enough to be labeled a terrorist group. Others say the army is taking a necessary preemptive step to nip the problem in the bud, before it becomes a full blown insurgency.
What are the army’s reasons for proscribing them? Below are reasons given by the Defence via their Twitter handle:
1. According to the army, the group poses a security challenge that is slowly metamorphosing.
2. Contrary to their announcements, the army said the group is not non-violent.
3. The army also said the group has been terrorizing the general public both in public and clandestinely.
4. The formation of Biafra Secret Service (BSS) and Biafra National Guard (BNG) along with the unauthorized blocking of roads.
5. The army also mentioned the extorting of money from people illegally as one of their reasons.
6. The possession and use of weapons such as: stones, molotov cocktails, machetes & broken bottles was also mentioned.
7. The army also said that the troops were confronted by IPOB members on September 11, 2017.
8. Attack on military checkpoint on September 12.