- ticket title
- Lagos Police uncover child trafficking camp in Lagos
- Nnamdi Kanu’s mysterious disappearance poses troubling questions
- Boko Haram: Army chief, Buratai sends strong warning to insurgents
- We’ll soon completely decimate Boko Haram, militants in N-Delta — CAS
- End erratic power supply in 2018 – Group tells Buhari
Three female suicide bombers were shot in Monguno, Borno states, while they were getting ready to attack internally displaced persons (IDPs), the Nigerian army has said.
According to a statement signed by Sani Usman, acting spokesman of the army, the bombers were targeting some IDPs who were fetching water at a borehole along Marte road, on the outskirts of the town.
“Today at about 6.15am, 3 female Boko Haram terrorists suicide bombers attempted to attack innocent Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) fetching water at a borehole located about 3 kilometres, outskirt of Monguno town along Marte road,” read the statement.
“Our vigilant troops detected and gunned them down, killing both instantly. Unfortunately, the explosive they were strapped with exploded and injured 2 civilians nearby.”
Usman said the injured persons had been evacuated and were receiving medical attention at the 8 task force division’s medical facility, while the third suicide bomber, who followed a different route, detonated some distance before troops deployment along the same road at about 7.10am.
“Troops have cordoned off the general area and imposed restriction of movement into Monguno while they the general area and make it safe,” he added.