Do you need a website for your business?
- ticket title
- Alleged certificate forgery: More trouble for Dino Melaye as FG begins investigation
- Caution your appointees now before they destroy our democracy, Fayose warns Buhari
- Governor Ortom names ex-aide as mastermind of Benue killings
- Buhari’s men in more troubles as Senate uncovers e-passport scam
- It is not depression, Ifa priests give real reason why Dr Allwell Orji jumped into Lagos Lagoon
On Monday, January 23, hundreds of lawyers protested the activities of the Department of States Security (DSS) and its director general Lawal Daura.
The lawyers, who marched in Abuja alongside members of a civil society organization demanded among many other things, the sack of Daura.
The lawyers called for the sack of the director general of DSS Lawal Daura
Led by the protest coordinator Agu Okwukwe, the lawyers also called for the immediate release of some their colleagues, allegedly detained by the secret police.
The also protesting group urged Nigerians to focus on protecting Nigeria’s democracy to avoid abuse by those in power.
Below are eight demands made by the lawyers:
1. Release of detained lawyers
“We call for the immediate release of our members who have been in DSS detention for over a month and a return of all property taken away from our office.”
2. Protection of Nigeria’s democracy
“We salute the gallantry of Rivers people led by Governor Wike. The will of the people of Rivers State triumphed over the rampaging forces fully backed and funded by Abuja.
The gallantry of Rivers people is commended and must be emulated by the peoples of every city and state. We are in solidarity with the people of Rivers state.”
3. Call to action for the Nigeria Police Force
“That the refusal of the Nigerian Police Force to arrest the officers who participated in this dastardly act of brazen election rigging is shocking.”
4. Prosecution of the commandant of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad
“That the refusal of the Police to arrest and prosecute Mr. Akin Fakorede, the SARS Commandant marks the official driving of a nail through the heart of our democracy and endorsement of the end of free and fair election in our country.”
5. Sack of Rivers state police officers
“The sack of the six police officers without regard to due process is selective, condemnable, ludicrous and in very bad taste.”
6. Arrest politicians involved in causing mayhem during Rivers rerun election
“That all politicians who have been known to have been involved in the mayhem in Rivers state be arrested immediately including Rotimi Amechi, Magnus Abe and Dakuku Peterside.”
7. Disbandment of police probe panel
The lawyers said the probe panel set up by the inspector general of police is unconstitutional, laughable, and ridiculous.
They also said the panel is an attempt to continue the conquest of Rivers state.
“The same Police that have not taken any action against those who printed fake INEC materials or apprehended those who rigged the elections are now probing a fake concocted audio tape.
“We demand the immediate disbandment of the probe panel set up by the Inspector General of Police and hail the Judicial Commission set up by the Rivers state government.
Rivers people are urged to gather their facts and appear before the judicial commission to help it unravel the truth of what happened on December 10, 2016.”
Learn How to Design a Website/Blog in 3 Days