Do you need a website for your business?
President Muhammadu Buhari has nominated 27 people as Resident Electoral Commissioners (RECs) of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).
He sent the names to the Nigerian Senate for approval.
The letter from Buhari requesting the confirmation of the 27 nominees was read on Thursday, March 23, by Senate president Bukola Saraki.
The letter read: “In compliance with the provisions of Section 14 (3) (a) of the Third Schedule to the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 1999 (as amended), I write to request the confirmation of the following nominees for appointment as Resident Electoral Commissioners.”
we brings you the full list of 27 nominees and their states:
- Godswill Obioma, Abia (new appointment)
- Ibrahim Abdullahi, Adamawa (new appointment)
- Ahmed Makama, Bauchi (reappointment)
- James Apam, Benue (new appointment)
- Mike Igini, Delta (reappointment)
- Nwachukwu Orji, Ebonyi (new appointment)
- Iloh Chuks, Enugu (new appointment)
- Hussaini Pai, FCT (reappointment)
- Sadiq Musa, Kaduna (reappointment)
- Jibrin Zarewa, Kano (reappointment)
- Asmau Maikudi, Katsina (new appointment)
- Mahmuda Isah Kebbi (new appointment)
- Samuel Egwu, Kogi (new appointment)
- Rufus Akeju, Lagos (reappointment)
- Mustapha Zubairu, Niger (new appointment)
- Agboke Olaleke, Ogun (new appointment)
- Sam Olumekun, Ondo (reappointment)
- Abdulganiyu Raji, Oyo (new appointment)
- Riskuwa Shehu, Sokoto (new appointment)
- Kasim Geidam, Yobe (reappointment)
- Bello Mahmud, Zamfara (new appointment)
- Nentawe Yilwada, Plateau (new appointment)
- Umar Ibrahim, Taraba (new appointment)
- Emeka Joseph, Imo (new appointment)
- Obo Effanga, Cross River (new appointment)
- Francis Ezeonu, Anambra (new appointment)
- Briyai Frankland, Bayelsa (new appointment)
The constitution states that each state must have a Resident Electoral Commissioner and it is Buhari’s prerogative to appoint them.
Report has it that not less than 33 states of the federation do not have RECs, who head the operations of the Independent National Electoral Commission at sub-national units.
With the nomination of 27 people, six states will still not have RECs.
Some INEC officials appeared before a Federal High Court Abuja over allegations of bribery and corruption during the Rivers state rerun election.