- ticket title
- Fayose Imposes Yearly Registration Fee On Herdsmen In Ekiti
- Lagos Police uncover child trafficking camp in Lagos
- Nnamdi Kanu’s mysterious disappearance poses troubling questions
- Boko Haram: Army chief, Buratai sends strong warning to insurgents
- We’ll soon completely decimate Boko Haram, militants in N-Delta — CAS
Cristiano Ronaldo, Lionel Messi and Gianluigi Buffon have been nominated for the UEFA’s Player of the Year award, the sport’s European governing body said on Tuesday (August 15).
Ronaldo helped Real Madrid to a second consecutive Champions League title and finished as the tournament’s top scorer with 12 goals.
Goalkeeper Buffon led Juventus to a sixth successive Serie A title, a third-straight Italian Cup success and a runner-up finish in the Champions League.
Messi claimed the Spanish King’s Cup with Barcelona and finished as La Liga’s top scorer with 37 goals last season.
The three-player shortlist was selected by a panel of 80 coaches of the clubs which participated in the group stage of the 2016/17 Champions League and Europa League and 55 journalists selected by the European Sports Media (ESM) group, representing each of UEFA’s member associations.
Messi and Ronaldo have both won the award twice, with the Portugal international voted winner last year.
The awards will be presented at this season’s Champions League group stage draw in Monaco on Aug. 24.