Do you need a website for your business?
- ticket title
- #BBNaija: Efe flies private jet to Jos, received by Governor Simeon Lalong (photos)
- Biafra: Nnamdi Kanu will continue agitation for Igbo nation – Wife [VIDEO]
- I AM NOT ENVIOUS OF TEKNO’S SUCCESS – IYANYA
- 2019 election: I may run against El-Rufai – Senator Shehu Sani
- Lai Mohammed: Senegalese Jollof Rice Is Better On CNN – Nigerians Blast Him
The Senate Committee on Privatization has proposed a ban on the importation of used cars.
The Chairman of the committee, Senator Ben Murray-Bruce, disclosed this while on an oversight visit to the assembly plant of Volkswagen of Nigeria Automobile Limited in Lagos on Monday.
The committee urged local automakers to manufacture affordable and energy-efficient cars for Nigerians.
Bruce also said there should be about a million made-in-Nigeria cars available on demand annually.
He said, “We want one million cars a year. Everybody who has a job should have a brand-new car. I will propose a ban on the importation of Tokunbo cars; but first, every Nigerian should be able to buy a brand new car in 10 seconds after we put up the ban, not ban and wait for two years.
“The car manufacturers should make provision for down payment of N250,000 and N30,000 monthly instalments. The vehicle should be fully insured for seven years.
“Another important thing is that the cars being sold in Nigeria are not energy efficient. You (VON) are a distributor for Nissan and the firm has the number one electric car in the world. The electric car should be sold here.”