Do you need a website for your business?
- ticket title
- Chief stripped, humiliated for disrespecting Oba of Benin [VIDEO]
- Buhari to work from home even after resumption
- Biafra? Ojukwu and I agreed Nigeria ‘must remain one and united’ – Buhari
- Buhari’s welcome speech failed to address ‘critical’ national issues – SDP
- President Buhari’s Broadcast Unifying – PPA
Republican presidential front-runner, Donald Trump, has accused China of “raping” the United States, in renewed criticism of China’s trade policy.
He told a rally in Indiana that China was responsible for “the greatest theft in the history of the world.”
Mr. Trump, a billionaire businessman, has long accused China of manipulating its currency to make its exports more competitive globally, the BBC reports.
This, he says, has badly damaged U.S businesses and workers.
“We can’t continue to allow China to rape our country, and that’s what we’re doing,” he told the campaign rally on Sunday.
“We’re going to turn it around, and we have the cards, don’t forget it,” he added. “We have a lot of power with China.”
Mr. Trump, in his campaign manifesto, pledges to “cut a better deal with China that helps American businesses and workers compete.”
He sets out four goals that include immediately declaring China “a currency manipulator” and putting “an end to China’s illegal export subsidies and lax labour and environmental standards.”
Figures from the U.S government show the annual trade deficit with China was at an all-time high of $365.7bn (£250.1bn) last year.